Seven years ago, I had the opportunity to move to China for a one-year study program. In preparing for this trip, I had to ask the question “does it snow in China?” or rather “does it snow in Beijing where I am staying?”. The answer to both questions is “yes”.
“This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.”
Table of Contents
When does it Snow in China?
Based on my research, before my departure, I found out that it does not snow everywhere in China but where it does, it usually snows in the wintertime in the months of December, January and February.
Snow in Beijing
When I arrived at my dormitory in Beijing in the summer, I had in my possession winter clothes that I had bought as I heard that it would get really cold to even minus temperatures. I had been to places that had snow but never had the opportunity to be there during the season. So I was expecting my first snow experience in China. To my disappointment, I was told by my new friends in China, that although it got freezing cold in Beijing, sometimes there was no actual snow, it would just get icy. So when winter came, after days and days of being in a really cold environment, I accepted the fact that seeing snow was not in my fate for my stay in China. I however was having my first experience of what “winter” felt like.
Two Days of Snow in Beijing
To my surprise, one morning I woke up and it was snowing. Not just regular snow but outside was layered in snow, like a scene out of a Christmas movie. So then my Chinese friend said to me, there is a great ski lodge called Beijing Huaibei International Ski Resort. The bummer, however, was that the snow was not actually snow but man-made snow at the resort. I had two majestic days of experiencing snow in Beijing.
Beijing Huaibei International Ski Resort
Where Does it Snow in China? 10 Best Places To See Snow In China
If you are in China and want to see real snow, you can check out the places listed below.
- Harbin, Northeast China’s Heilongjiang province
- Arxan city, Hinggan League, North China’s Inner Mongolia autonomous region
- Altay, Northwest China’s Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region
- Kanas Lake, Northwest China’s Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region
- Hulunbuir, North China’s Inner Mongolia autonomous region
- Mohe, Northeast China
- Mudanjiang City, Northeast China’s Heilongjiang province
- Greater Hinggan Mountains, North China’s Inner Mongolia autonomous region
- Changbai Mountain, Northeast China’s Jilin province
Gallery of Snow from Around China
Best Ski Resorts in China 2021
If you desire to ski in China, below are the best ski resorts in China. China is of course a perfect place to ski, after all, the 2022 Winter Olympics Games is scheduled to take place in Beijing.
- Yabuli Ski Resort and Spa Resort, Harbin, China
- Zhangjiakou Wanlong Ski Resort Shuanglong Hotel, Zhangjiakou, China
- Yabuli National Forest Park Ski Resort Hotel, Harbin, China
- Yabuli Ski Resort Qingyun Villa, Harbin, China
As seen in the gallery of places that snow in China, there are many places to visit to see snow in all its glory. If you are looking for a vacation where you want to ski, check out the best ski resorts in China.