The most annoying thing is unpacking your suitcase and finding that your dress shirt is crumpled and crushed. To avoid this dilemma, The Travel Virgin is here to guide you on “How to Fold a Dress Shirt for Traveling“. Forget ironing at your hotel or Airbnb, instead follow our instructions when packing.
“This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.”
Table of Contents
- Steps to Fold a Dress Shirt for Travel
- Video Instructions for Folding Dress Shirt
- Intrepid Travel
Steps to Fold a Dress Shirt for Travel
1. Lay Out Dress Shirt On a Flat Surface
- Find a flat surface that is even and place your dress shirt on it as depicted in the picture above. A flat clean table is ideal. Avoid beds and sofas which have uneven surfaces.
- Use your hand and smooth out all wrinkles in the dress shirt.
- If the front buttons on the dress shirt are open, make sure to button All and not just some.
- Make sure to button up all collar and sleeve cuffs if they are open.
2. Fold the First Sleeve
- Place dress shirt face down with buttons on the flat surface and take hands and smooth out wrinkles. As per the first step, both sides of shirts should be smoothed out for wrinkles. Dress shirts that are extremely wrinkled should be pressed on an ironing board before starting steps in this guide.
- Fold the first sleeve right along the crease and place it at the back of the dress shirt as seen in the picture above. Make sure that the sleeve is straight when the fold is complete.
3. Fold the Second Sleeve
- Fold the second sleeve right along the crease and place it at the back of the dress shirt as seen in the picture above. Make sure that the sleeve is straight when the fold is complete. In this instance, this folded sleeve should be placed below the first sleeve and should be straight and in alignment with one sleeve cuff evenly on top of the other.
- Take a hand and smooth out the entire dress shirt in the folded position. The sleeve cuffs should align to the collar in the folded position.
- Fold dress shirt at the points where the lines are depicted in the pic above.
4. Flip Dress Shirt and Pack in Suitcase
- Flip shirt to its front after folding. The end result should look like the picture above.
- Take the dress shirt and neatly pack it in the suitcase with other folded clothing items.
Video Instructions for Folding Dress Shirt
Below are some videos on how to fold a dress shirt. Instructions may vary slightly.
1. Video-How to Fold a Dress Shirt for Traveling
2. Video-How to Fold a Dress Shirt for Traveling