Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained: Most experienced travelers have had traveler’s diarrhea. In the case of a newbie traveler, this medical condition may be totally new. All travelers should seek medical attention immediately even if the illness seems mild.
“This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.”
Table of Contents-Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained:
- Definition and Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained
- Prevention Tips
- Traveler’s Diarrhea Symptoms
- How Long Does it Last?-Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained
- Is it Contagious?
- Treatment-Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained
Definition and Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained
Traveler’s diarrhea is loose or watery bowel movement that is experienced within a few days of traveling to an unhygienic location. It is extremely common amongst travelers and is caused by exposure to parasites, bacteria, and viruses.
In most cases, Traveler’s diarrhea is caused by bacteria. Travelers usually get Traveler’s Diarrhea by eating or drinking contaminated food or water.
Here are some steps to take to ensure proper hygiene practices to prevent Traveler’s Diarrhea.
- Clean surfaces, equipment, and utensils properly before use.
- Eat from establishments that are certified for proper food storage and handling.
- Store food safely to prevent exposure to pest e.g rats
- Wash fruits and vegetables properly before consumption.
- Avoid eating raw foods-fruits, vegetables, and meats.
- Avoid using condiments such as mustard etc that are left open on tables for public use.
- Wash bottles, tins, and cans with soap.
- In cases where you are unable to see proof that a food establishment is certified as sanitary by a public health body, examine the general surrounding and determine cleanliness.
- Wash hands before and after using a bathroom.
- Limit touching surfaces and wash hands after touching surfaces.
- Wash hands properly with soap on all occasions.
- Wash hands before and after eating.
- Travel with antibacterial wipes if visiting areas with poor sanitation.
- Identify and drink bottled water from established quality brands.
- In the absence of bottled water, boil water for at least 4 minutes to sanitize.
- Buy and consume drinks from bottles that are sealed.
- Avoid placing or requesting ice to be placed in drinks.
- Use straws when drinking from glass instead of placing your mouth directly on cups.
- Be careful in deciding to buy street food.
Prevention at All-Inclusive Hotels-Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained
If staying at all-inclusive hotels, try to reach the buffet line as closest to opening hours as possible. This will limit the number of persons who would have interacted with food on the buffet before you. This is not a 100% prevention measure as there is always a risk.
Traveler’s Diarrhea Symptoms
Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained: The symptoms include:
- Abdominal cramps or pains
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Feelings of Tiredness
- Watery or soft bowel movements
- Blood in stool
How Long Does it Last?-Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained
Traveler’s Diarrhea can affect travelers abruptly within a day or two after contamination. With proper medical treatment, symptoms usually do not exceed a week.
Is it Contagious?
Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained: This condition is very contagious and can be passed from person to person. Maintaining proper hygiene during travel is very important.
Treatment-Cause of Traveler’s Diarrhea-Symptoms Explained
One can never be too careful when traveling. In cases where you feel ill with Traveler’s Diarrhea or something else, it is important that you seek help from a health care provider immediately, who will prescribe the best medication to address your illness.